The month of June is Adopt-A-Cat Month. The American Humane Association started this monthly awareness to adopt shelter cats in 1974. They picked the month of June because it is the height of “kitten season,” when millions of kittens are born and often end up in shelters.
There are a few ways that you can help the cats in your area.
1. Look into adopting a cat (or two) from your local shelter.
2. If you aren’t able to add a cat to your family permanently, maybe you can talk to your shelter about fostering possibilities.
3. Share with others on social media that it is Adopt-A-Cat Month to help spread awareness.
4. Contact your local shelters and see what donations they might need. For example, cat litter, cat food, blankets, or even monetary donations might help.
5. Help inform our children, the next generation, as to why adoption is important. Also, include why it is important to spay or neuter pets to help prevent the overcrowding of shelters.
We hope that you take a minute of your time to bring awareness to this “cat”astrophic problem across the country and help some of our feline friends find their forever homes.